GLOBAL TEST 2SC Mr.SAKAKINI
OUR ENVIRONMENT
What kind of world will our children have to live in? Will they have air to breathe or food to eat? Theses are among the basic questions that were addressed at the first world meeting on the environment. The meeting was attended by more than 100 world leaders and 30,000 other scientists, news people, and concerned citizens. These complex problems can no longer be solved by individual nations. We must act together to protect Mother Earth. The answers are not simple, but there is hope.
The questions examined in the conference were all related to the quality of life on the planet. As more and more countries become industrialised, air pollution from factories and vehicles increases, causing an increase in disease and medical costs. Many countries are also concerned about birth rates because their populations are growing faster than their economies. Clean water is, of course, another concern for all countries. Rivers and other water sources are threatened by chemical wastes.
Environmentalists agree that four most urgent questions to save quality of life on the planet are: air pollution, population growth, drinking water, and protected lands. This, of course, without forgetting the nuclear and biological arms that threaten the existence of life on this small planet.

I- COMPREHENSION(15 points)
A- Are these sentences true or false? Justify-6 points)
1. The conference was attended by 30,000 countries
2. Economical growth is slower than population growth in many countries.
3. According to the text, environmentalists are hopeless.
B – Answer these questions.(4points)
1. Pick out a sentence which shows that all people are responsible for saving our planet.
2. ?What pollutes drinking water
C- What do the underlined words in the text refer to?(1point)
1. They 2. Their
D- Find in the text words meaning the same as(4 points)
Expenses 1. 2. Grows

II – LANGUAGUE (10points)
A- Rewrite these sentences as indicated (4 points)
1. I saw the situation with my own eyes, that’s why I was frightened.
........................................ IF

3. They will complete the dam in 2010.
.................................................... By the year 2010, they
4. “We won’t do that again”
...............................................The children said
B- Choose the correct words (3 points)
1. Many African children still die (for, from, of, about) hunger.
2. I was given too (much, many, a little, a lot) work to do. I’m tired.
3. What (will you do, do you do, would you do, would you have done) if you were a biologist?
III- WRITING (15 points)
Choose one of the topics.
A- Write about the importance of forests and suggest some solutions to save them.
B- Write about the causes of the population growth and its effects.
GOOD LUCK